By the 1680s the Faversham gunpowder industry was well established but the arrival of skilled Huguenot refugees from France gave it fresh impetus. In 1759 the government established a factory of its own here. By 1786 there were three powder factories in the Faversham area – the Home, the oldest, and the only one actually in the town, Oare, second-oldest, situated 1 ½ miles west of the town, and the Marsh, about 1 mile to the north west. The government factories, the Home and the Marsh, were known as the Royal Gunpowder Mills. During the Napoleonic Wars (1803-1815), the Huguenot employees of the Royal Gunpowder Mills produced explosives used against their home country.