Spitalfields Maps And Facts
Using the Spitalfields 2000 map, find and colour in the following streets:
Blossom Street, Fleur de Lis Street and Elder Street – Built by Sir Isaac Tillard c.1720. The Tillard family were Huguenot immigrants who settled in Totnes, Devon. They named the streets after flowers. The Fleur de Lis is also the most common symbol in French heraldry.
Brick Lane – No.59 Brick Lane, on the corner with Fournier Street, was built in 1742-74 as a Huguenot Chapel. It was later used as a Methodist mission and a Synagogue. The building was converted in 1975 and is now the Jamme Masjid.
Calvin Street – Commemorates the French theologian, John Calvin (1509-1564), who led the Protestant Reformation in France.
Huguenot Place – Named after the Huguenots.
Ligonier Street – Named after John, 1st Earl of Ligonier (1680-1770), a British soldier born in Castres in France of Huguenot descent.
Crispin Street – The Spitalfields Mathematical Society, founded in 1717, was based on Crispin Street. Many of its members were Huguenots involved with the manufacture of optical and navigational instruments.
Montclare Street and Calvert Avenue – These names are of Huguenot origin.
Navarre Street – Named after Henry of Navarre (1553 – 1610), later King Henry IV of France.
Palissy Street – Named after Bernard Palissy (1509-1589), a Huguenot craftsman. He was imprisoned in 1588 because of his religious beliefs and died shortly afterwards.
Rochelle Street – Named after the French seaport, La Rochelle, which had close links to the Huguenot community.
Weaver Street – Takes its name from the Huguenot silk weavers.
Spital Square – No.37 Spital Square is the last surviving Georgian mansion on the square. It was built in the 1740s by Peter Ogier, a wealthy Huguenot silk merchant
Chambord Street – Named in 1883 after the death of Henri of Artois (1820-1883), Count of Chambord and pretender to the French throne, to reflect the Huguenot settlement of the area.
Artillery Lane – No.56 Artillery Lane, one of the oldest remaining shop fronts in London, was occupied from 1720 by Nicholas Jourdain, a Huguenot silk mercer and Director of the French hospital.
Fournier Street – Named after a Huguenot refugee, George Fournier, the street is still full of elegant townhouses which were once home to Huguenot weavers. The houses had huge attic windows which were designed to let in as much light as possible to help the weavers with their work.
What differences do you notice between the modern map showing Spitalfields and the one dating from c.1790?