huguenot logo


Bristol in Somerset, South West England was one of a second group of towns in which new Huguenot settlements developed – the first being in Ipswich and Rye in 1681. From the end of the 17th century, between 400 and 500 Huguenots moved to Bristol, making up 2.5% of the population. They received money from the Civil List, allocated by William and Mary, between 1689 and 1693.

St. Mark’s Church on the North East side of College Green in Bristol was given to the Huguenots to worship by the City Corporation. They used the church between 1687 and 1722. Mrs. Gautier, wife of the Reverend Gautier, the French pastor opened a boarding and day school.

A few of the Huguenots who settled in Bristol, came from wealthy merchant families, from La Rochelle and other French Atlantic ports, including the Peloquins, Laroche and Goizin families. Their trading contacts in America with other Huguenot and Dutch merchants ensured they quickly established themselves in the Atlantic economy and contributed substantially to the city's prosperity.

One famous Bristol Huguenot was Francis Billo, a metalworker, who became well known for his chandeliers in the West County. He created a ceremonial crown (c.1733) in copper, to wear for the Processions of the Trades, modeled on a Royal crown. It is now in the collection of Bristol Museums. Another renowned Bristol Huguenot was silversmith Solomon Egare (Huguenots often were baptised with Old Testament names), who lived in the city before settling in America.