huguenots of spitalfields
huguenots of spitalfields
huguenots of spitalfields
huguenots of spitalfields
huguenots of spitalfields
huguenots of spitalfields

huguenot footsteps

Join us and retrace the footsteps of the Huguenots in Spitalfields, Soho, Greenwich, City of London and Wandsworth. No need to book just turn up and donate £10 to the educational fund on the day. Please click here to go to Huguenot Footsteps.

huguenot families

Are you descended from a Huguenot Family?  Add your name to our List

huguenot traces

Huguenot Traces - a list of Huguenot paintings, artwork, artefacts, buildings, street names etc. Please help us by adding your findings to the list.

c2a city walks

Designed for groups, organisations, companies and parties of ten people or more. The City of London Walking Tours can be booked throughout the year. Click here for programme.

Sir John Cass Primary Foundation School

Please email info@huguenotsofspitalfields.org if you wish to purchase postcards. Designs by the pupils of Sir John Cass Primary Foundation School. Cost £2.50 including postage.

Sir john Cass Primary SchoolSir john Cass Primary School

 Talent

The Boniface Family

The Bonifas family came from France to London in the 1700s because, as Huguenots, their life was difficult. The father, François Bonifas, had a cousin who was arrested and made to work against his will for many years as an oarsman in a Galley ship of the French navy. The authorities could confiscate all their goods and money so François, his wife Louise and their son Jean, decided to escape and settled in Spitalfields where there were many other Huguenots, where two more children, Pierre and Marie, were born.

The family worshipped at a French church called ‘the Church of the Artillery’ because it was near Artillery Lane. The same building is now a synagogue called Sandy’s Row Synagogue.

Francois and Louise came from South West France in the countryside, so life in London was very different for them, and they were quite poor. Sadly Louise became ill and was in hospital three times before being sent home because she could not be cured. The family were very worried and asked the Pastor of their church for help. Luckily the Huguenots had built a special place for people who were sick or in need called La Providence, and in 1768 Louise went to live there where she could be looked after. Her children were very sad, especially Pierre and Marie who were only seven and four. La Providence, a group of alms houses, still exists today in Rochester where elderly Huguenots live.

The eldest son, Jean, married an English girl, Anne Dutton. They married in St Botolph’s church in Bishopsgate in 1765. Jean was a ‘stationer’, which at that time meant he made books. As he became more used to life in England, he began to call himself John, rather than Jean. He and Anne left London and moved to Dorchester in Dorset where they had four children, John, Jane, Anne and Dutton. Dutton went on to be married three times, and had nine daughters and three sons. He was my great great great grandfather.

Carole Bonifas

At Sir John Cass Foundation Primary School opposite St Botolph’s church there are two statues of a boy and a girl in the clothes of the 1700s.

John Dollond

glasses240John Dollond was the son of a Huguenot refugee, who was a silk weaver. He was born in Spitalfields in November 1706 and died in November 1761 aged 55. Initially he followed his father’s trade, but also found time to study Latin, Greek, mathematics and physics, and later became an optician, joining his eldest son, Peter who had started in business as a maker of optical instruments.John Dollond became known for his successful optics business and for patenting* and selling achromatic* lenses. His reputation grew rapidly and he became a Fellow of the Royal Society*, publishing accounts of his various experiments. In 1761, he was appointed optician to the King, George III and the Duke of York and Albany.

After his death, his son Peter carried on the business and in 1781 he made bifocal spectacles. At the Great Exhibition in 1851 in London, the Dollonds were awarded a medal for the excellence of their optical instruments.

Today, Dollond & Aitchison is still a well-known name in the field of optics. However, the company was absorbed into Boots opticians in 2009 and most of its stores are now branded under the Boots Opticians name.

Sally Lunn

A Sally Lunn is a large bun or teacake made with yeast dough including cream, eggs, and spice, similar to the sweet brioche breads of France.It is served warm and sliced, with butter.

It was first recorded in 1780 in Bath in south west England.

There are many myths about the origin of the Sally Lunn.

It is said that the recipe was brought to Bath in the 1680s by a Huguenot refugee called Solange Luyon, who became known as Sally Lunn.

Paul de Lamerie

Paul de Lamerie was born in the Netherlands in April 1688 and died in August 1751 aged 63.He was the son of a Huguenot French nobleman who had left France following the issue of the Edict of Nantes, which forbade the Protestant religion in France. His father moved to London in 1689.

In August 1703 Paul de Lamerie became apprenticed to a London goldsmith of Huguenot origin, Pierre Platel. Ten years later, de Lamerie opened his own workshop and was appointed goldsmith to George I in 1716.

His early work is in the simple Queen Anne styles, following classical French models, but later de Lamerie is particularly noted for his elaborate Rococo style which was fashionable in the 1730’s.

Among his customers were Tsarinas Catherine and Anna, Sir Robert Walpole, the Duke of Bedford and other members of the English aristocracy. He served on the Goldsmiths’ Company committees, and also served in the Westminster Volunteers.

A two-handled silver cup and cover by Paul de Lamerie, dated 1720, was among the wedding gifts of Queen Elizabeth II.

Paul de Lamerie died in London and was buried in St. Anne’s Church, Soho. There is a memorial plaque at the site of his workshop, 40 Gerrard Street, which was unveiled in January 1992.

The Ruffy Family

The Ruffy family (the widowed Madame Catherine Ruffy and her five children) settled in Spitalfields in 1697, along with 13,000 other Huguenots who arrived the same year to escape persecution. Not everyone welcomed them - some English people worried that they would take their jobs and homes.

The Huguenots could not speak English, so it was hard for them to say the place names. Can you guess where these places are?

OUICHAPPELLE

PETIT COTELAINE

PAROISSE DE STEPNÉ

SCHARDICH

(WHITECHAPEL, PETTICOAT LANE, PARISH OF STEPNEY, SHOREDITCH)

The Huguenots were very religious people: they did not drink alcohol, swear or gamble; they dressed modestly, prayed and fasted and did not dance or go to parties. They built nine new churches in Spitalfields and around the country, and they were also allowed to use Anglican churches.The Ruffy family were silkweavers. They used enormous weaving looms, and made beautiful brightly coloured silk material with patterns of birds and flowers. This material was very expensive, so only wealthy people could afford it. Each kind of material had a special name; Alamode, Bombazine, Brocade, Tiffany, Tabinet, Ferrandine, Taffeta or Grosgrain.

The weavers sang religious songs while they were weaving, and kept canaries in cages so they could hear the birds singing as they worked.

When the Huguenots arrived in London they were poor, but they became very successful in business because they were honest and hardworking, and the Ruffy family became rich enough to buy a lovely house in Quaker Street.

 

Faith

The Christian Faith

The Christian Faith is centred on Jesus Christ. Christians believe that He was God come to earth when He was born as a baby in Bethlehem - the event we remember at Christmas. He went on to live a perfect life but then was put to death on a cross (which we remember on Good Friday) and then three days later rose from the dead (which we celebrate at Easter). After forty days He returned to His home in heaven, from where one day He will return again to earth in glory.

The Cross has become the great symbol of Christianity because it reminds us that Jesus died on a cross so that all who trust Him are saved from all the wrong things they have done. The name "Jesus" means "Saviour".

The Bible

The Bible is a collection of books written by 40 authors over 1,500 years.

It consists of 39 books in the Old Testament, telling the story of God's people right from the creation up until shortly before Jesus came. The New Testament has 27 books, telling the story of Jesus in four gospels, an account of the early church in the Book of Acts, and letters written by Paul, Peter and other close followers of Jesus to explain the meaning of the Christian faith. Christians believe God speaks to us as we read the Bible.

The Catholic Church

The Catholic Church consists of people all over the world who follow Jesus. From its beginnings in the Middle East, Christianity spread into Europe and then later into every country in the world, and it is now growing very fast in Africa, South America and parts of south-east Asia. The Roman Catholic Church is that part of the church which follows the teaching of the Pope in Rome, believing he is a successor to St Peter, who was one of the 12 disciples of Jesus.

The Reformation

The Reformation owed a lot to a man in Germany named Martin Luther. He was a monk in the Roman Catholic Church about 500 years ago. As he studied the Bible he came to see that we are saved by faith in Jesus, not by trying to earn our salvation by the things we do. Believing the church at that time to be wrong, he led a movement to protest about what it was teaching - this was the beginning of the Protestant Church.

John Calvin

John Calvin came along a few years after Luther as a leader in the Protestant church. Although French by birth, he eventually became leader of the church in the Swiss city of Geneva. He is especially remembered for the books he wrote explaining about the Christian faith, and these spread rapidly through Europe and later into North America.

The French Huguenots took on his teachings, and in 1662 Holland adopted Calvinism as the state religion.

William Tyndale

William Tyndale also played an important part in causing the Reformation to spread through England by his work in translating the Bible into English from the original languages of Hebrew and Greek in which it was written. Bibles in English were not allowed and copies had to be smuggled into England. Tyndale was eventually put to death as he did not agree with the Established Church, but his last words were "Lord, open the King of England's eyes". Within a few years a Bible was placed in every parish church in the country.

The Evangelical Revival

The Evangelical Revival took place in the 18th century, largely through people like George Whitefield and John Wesley (together with his hymn-writing brother Charles) who travelled up and down the country preaching in the open-air. On one occasion Whitefield preached (without a microphone!) to about 30,000 people outside Bristol. As a result many people became Christians.

The Anti-Slavery Movement

The Anti-Slavery Movement was largely led by Christians who were shocked at the conditions in which slaves were taken from Africa across to America. Amongst those who campaigned against the slave-trade was John Newton, who before he became a Christian had been the captain of a slave ship. Another leading figure was William Wilberforce, who was a prominent MP, and eventually, just before he died, saw his bill to abolish the slave trade passed in Parliament.

 

Huguenot Towns

Barnstaple

The first Huguenot refugees to arrive in Barnstaple, came in 1685; the year the Edict of Nantes was revoked. The way in which the town responded to the new arrivals is recorded in the diary of Jacques Fontaine, born in Jenouille (or Genouillé), France in 1658. He describes the welcome he received from protestant hosts: “After paying for our passage, I had only twenty gold pistoles left, but God had not conducted us in safety to a haven there to leave us to perish with hunger; the good people of Barnstaple had compassion upon us, took us into their houses, and treated us with the greatest kindness; thus God raised up for us fathers and mothers, and brothers and sisters, in a strange land”. Barnstaple received funds from the Civil List, during William and Mary’s reign, to support the Huguenots living in there. And shortly after their arrival, the local authorities gave them St. Anne's Chapel (now a museum and community centre) as a place of worship; services were held there in French until 1762. Fontaine stayed with a local merchant called Downe, and was joined in Barnstaple by further 126 immigrants. His diary was translated and published under the title: ‘A Tale of the Huguenots’ or ‘Memoirs of a French Refugee Family’ in 1838, and goes on to record his business failures and successes and trials in love and later marriage.

The Huguenot influence on Barnstaple - as in many of the towns in which the refugees settled - was on-going, due to their introduction of different divisions of wool manufacture and dyeing processes, for which the town became famous. Jean Ulrich Passavant, a Huguenot from Strasbourg, created a table carpet depicting Barnstaple's coat of arms and presented it to the town. The carpet also displayed the name of the mayor, Monier Roch Esq., and the date, 1761. The Roch family, who were of Huguenot descent, was prominent in Barnstaple. Both Matthew Roch and his son Monier Roch established themselves within the local community and served several times as the Town's Mayor. In 1791 Monier Roch founded the Barnstaple Bank and was borough treasurer. A portrait of Matthew Roch can be seen in Barnstaple’s Guildhall.

Bideford

Running off from Allhalland Street is the cul-de-sac of Chapel Lane, named after the Huguenot Chapel that used to be at the far end of the lane. A French Huguenot congregation was set up in Bideford in 1695 and this lane lead to their church.

Bristol

Bristol was one of a second group of towns in which new Huguenot settlements developed – the first being in Ipswich and Rye in 1681. From the end of the 17th century, between 400 and 500 Huguenots moved to Bristol, making-up 2.5% of the population. They received money from the Civil List, allocated by William and Mary, between 1689 and 1693.

St. Mark’s Church on the North East side of College Green in Bristol was given to the Huguenots to worship by the City Corporation. They used the church between 1687 and 1722. Mrs. Gautier, wife of the Reverend Gautier the French pastor, opened a boarding and day school.

A few of the Huguenots who settled in Bristol, came from wealthy merchant families, from La Rochelle and other French Atlantic ports, including the Peloquins, Laroche and Goizin families. Their trading contacts in America with other Huguenot and Dutch merchants ensured they quickly established themselves in the Atlantic economy and contributed substantially to the city's prosperity.

One famous Bristol Huguenot was Francis Billo, a metalworker, who became well known for his chandeliers in the West County. He created a ceremonial crown (c.1733) in copper, to wear for the Processions of the Trades, modeled on a Royal crown. It is now in the collection of Bristol Museums. Another renowned Bristol Huguenot was silversmith Solomon Egare (Huguenots often were baptized with Old Testament names), who lived in the city before settling in America.

Canterbury

The Huguenot settlement in Canterbury started when the authorities considered the community in Sandwich, Kent, to have grown too large. 100 families were accepted in 1575. Its numbers continued to swell in the years following the Massacre of St. Bartholomew in France, and the second revolt in the Netherlands, and it came to represent the largest foreign population outside London.

The welcome extended to Huguenot refugees in part reflected the perceived benefit to the English economy, particularly the potential for developing the textile industry. Using the textile processing and weaving techniques learnt on the continent, New Draperies were established in textile towns such as Canterbury. They produced lighter fabrics, made from a mix of fibres, suitable for export to Europe, rather than making traditional woolen fabrics. The benefits led the Privy Council to protected Huguenot weavers in Canterbury, when they were attacked by locals. Many successful Spitalfields weavers established the viability of their businesses in Canterbury. As Spitalfields weaving flourished in the 18th century, the Canterbury industry went into decline, ceasing entirely in 1837 as a result of the mechanisation.

The Huguenot congregation in Canterbury was first allowed to worship at St. Alphege Church, but as their numbers grew, they were invited to use the Western Crypt of Canterbury Cathedral. Movement towards Spitalfields and assimilation saw numbers fall, and they moved to the smaller Black Prince Chantry in the Cathedral, where the Eglise Protestante Française de Cantorbéry [The French Protestant Church of Canterbury] still meets today.

Dover

Dover’s coastal position and proximity to France made it a natural landing and first point of settlement for Huguenot refugees. Many stayed temporarily, moving on to larger communities in London and Canterbury, or before returning home during periods of relatively greater safety. Early in the seventeenth century a census was taken of the foreign persons residing in Dover; it was found that there were seventy-eight people “two were preachers of God's Word; three were physicians and surgeons; two were advocates; two esquires; three were merchants; two were schoolmasters; thirteen were drapers, butchers and other trades; twelve were mariners; eight weavers and wool-combers; twenty-five were widows and makers of bone; two were maidens; one the wife of a shepherd; one a gardener and one a nondescript male”.

As in many towns where Huguenots had settled, the Dover textile industry grew and was an important means for the newcomers to earn a living. Dover, and nearby Sandwich, were particularly known for woolcombing; the process of arranging the fibres so they are parallel, ready for spinning.

There was a French Church in Dover from the 1640s, following the tradition of the Flemish congregation that had been in the town since the 16th century. It was part of a triumvirate of Churches with Guisnes, in northern France, and Cadzand, in the Dutch province of Zeeland, which had a mobile population, many of whom moved to Dover and then back onto the mainland. The Dover Huguenot settlement was considered sizable enough between 1689 and 1693 to receive monies from the civil list given by William and Mary.

Exeter

Outside of London, the largest foreign communities in England in the late 17th century were settled in Devon, Canterbury and East Anglia; approximately one third of the population in each. In Devon the largest groups were resident in Exeter and Plymouth. These settlements came about because of each town’s proximity to the sea and relationship with the textile trade, where immigrants could hope to obtain work. In Exeter there would have been opportunities for skilled weavers in the flourishing serge business. The City briefly became famous for carpet production thanks to Swiss Huguenot Claude Passavant, who purchased a London workshop in 1755, and brought many of the weavers to Exeter. The designs they wove are thought to have been bought from France. Just three Passavant carpets have survived, at the Victoria and Albert Museum, Petworth House and in a private collection.

A Huguenot conformist congregation was started at St. Olaves Church, on Fore Street in Exeter, in 1686 – one of two churches used by the settlers in the City, there was also a non-conformists congregation, founded earlier in 1620. Those that attended at St. Olaves were recorded to be 120 strong in 1715, under the minister Andrew Majendie. Services were conducted in French, and the church was popularly known as the French church. This ceased in 1758, when its members joined the Anglican Church.

A link to Exeter’s Huguenot past exists today in the gentlemen’s outfitters Luget, located in the Cathedral Yard. The Luget’s – Anne and James - are thought to have been French Huguenots, who married in Exeter in 1806. Their son Follet Luget, born on 17 December 1817 became a tailor and establish the name’s association with tailoring in the City.

Norwich

A major change the Huguenots made to Norfolk was the drainage of the fens. Before moving to England, their skills in this area had been deployed in draining the marshes from Dunkirk to just below Calais. Between 1627 and 1652, they reclaimed 40,000 acres of fenland. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, the radical ideas of the French boosted industry so much that by the late 1700s, Norwich had become the most important manufacturing city outside London.
Norwich was the centre of a large textile industry, but in the 16th Century this industry was struggling. The City needed more workers and they came over from a region now covered by Belgium, France and the Netherlands. These refugees were known as 'Strangers' – the local dialect word in those days. The Strangers taught local workers to produce new types of cloth in different ways, which helped the textile industry. They also helped to rebuild the whole area north of the River Wensum after it was devastated by a freak fire in 1507. They supported English parishes by donating money to them and Dutch and French schools were established in the area.

Norwich City Football Club is known as 'The Canaries'. The name comes from The Strangers, who were European refugees who came to live in Norwich in the 16th Century. They were famous for breeding canaries, and the football club's name is one of their most famous legacies. Many people who live in Norwich now are descendants of these Strangers, whose influence can still be seen in buildings around the region, as well as in the way Norfolk people talk.

Plymouth

Many Huguenots decided to flee to Plymouth. T his was almost certainly due to existing trading connections between Huguenot families and the port of Plymouth. The 1680s saw successive boatloads fleeing persecution and seeking sanctuary in Plymouth. A large Huguenot community settled in Plymouth with another at Stonehouse. These entrepreneurial and often highly skilled merchants and traders found themselves at ease in their new homes. They thrived in their new surroundings and provided new opportunities and contacts to the traders and merchants of Plymouth. French language services were held at St. George's Chapel and at the old friary on Southside Street as the Protestants sought to continue their faith in their mother language.

Rye

From 1562 Rye willingly gave shelter to large numbers of Huguenots fleeing from persecution in France and in 1582 there were over 1500 people of French extraction living in the town, whose total population was about 3500. For a time they had their own ministers and held their own services in the church but by the end of the century, they attended the ordinary services. In 1685 a further 50 Huguenot families arrived after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. Some of the Huguenots’ descendants worship in the church to this day.The clock of the church was made in about 1561-62 by the Hugeunot Lewys Billiard who was paid 30 pounds for his work .It is one of the oldest turret clocks in the country sill functioning.
Jeake’s House in Rye originally belonged to the Jeake family. Of Huguenot origin, the family’s first settler in Rye appears to have been a late 16th-century merchant, William Jeaque (a possible corruption of Jacques). His son Henry set up a bakery in the High Street. William’s grandson, Samuel Jeake junior, made his living as a wool merchant and Jeake house was previously a storehouse for his wool.

Soho

As with Spitalfields and Bethnal Green, late seventeenth and early eighteenth-century immigrants to Soho were driven by religious conviction and dominated by Protestant refugees, but following the French Revolution and the Terror, this population in the West End was substantially mixed with French Catholic priests and political refugees of a very different stamp. By 1801 some 5,600 priests and 4,000 lay French Catholics could be counted as British residents, their community centred on Soho to the south, and Fitzrovia just to the north, of Oxford Street. In the mid-eighteenth century William Maitland could claim: "Many parts of this parish so greatly abound with French that it is an easy matter for a stranger to imagine himself in France". The French Protestant Church of London in Soho Square is the only remaining Huguenot church in London.

Southampton

In one corner of Town Quay Park, there is a small garden dedicated to the Huguenots who came to Southampton seeking sanctuary from religious persecution in France and the Netherlands. A Mulberry tree, which is a symbol of the silk industry brought to the city by the Huguenots, shades plants of French origin. A nearby plaque donated by the Women's Gas Federation for its opening in 1985 explains the garden's history.

Spitalfields

Spitalfields' historic association with the silk industry was established by French Protestant (Huguenots) refugees who settled in this area after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685. By settling here, outside the bounds of the City of London, they hoped to avoid the restrictive legislation of the City Guilds. The Huguenots brought with them little, apart from their skills, and an Order in Council of 16 April 1687 raised £200,000 for the relief of their poverty. In December 1687, the first report of the committee set up to administer the funds reported that 13,050 French refugees were settled in London, primarily around Spitalfields, but also in the nearby settlements of Bethnal Green, Shoreditch, Whitechapel and Mile End New Town.

The late 17th and 18th centuries saw an estate of well-appointed terraced houses, built to accommodate the master weavers controlling the silk industry, and grand urban mansions built around the newly created Spital Square. In 1860, a treaty was established with France, allowing the import of cheaper French silks. This left the many weavers in Spitalfields, and neighbouring Bethnal Green and Shoreditch indigent. New trades such as furniture and boot making came to the area; and the large windowed Huguenot houses were found suitable for tailoring, attracting a new population of Jewish refugees drawn to live and work in the textile industry.

Thorney

Refugees were invited to settle in Thorney, in the fenlands, because of their expertise in maintaining drained land, which could be cultivated and farmed. Coming to Thorney offered advantages; Oliver Cromwell declared that if they bought or farmed lands the newcomers were accounted “free denizens of the Commonwealth”. In a proclamation by Oliver Cromwell, the settlers were given extra rights, including some tax relief and exemptions from military service overseas for forty years. They worshiped in the ruins of Thorney Abbey, where there is a marble memorial tablet on the north wall inscribed to Ezekiel Danois of Compiegne, France, the first minister of the Huguenot colony which fled to England to avoid persecution and settled in Thorney. He was at Thorney Abbey for 21 years, and buried there, aged 54, in 1674. Huguenot pastors continued to minister at Thorney until 1715.

The settlement had two further influxes. The first was caused by Queen Elizabeth who sent the Artois Walloons from Southampton to Thorney. The second influx was caused by the French Church in London in about 1685. They moved a group of Huguenots from the south up into the Thorney area to "take part in that congregation" to 'bolster' the population. The real reason was that the French Church had been having trouble with the Walloons at Thorney and Norwich for a long time. The Walloons spoke and read a different language, not a patois or dialect or French but their own language, Romand, which is a romance language very like French but said to be much older, and they did not want pastors coming out from London to preach in French so they arranged for their pastors to come from the Netherlands.

Winchester

Winchester Cathedral is home to the George Prevost Monument. Sir George Prévost, 1st Baronet (1767 – 1816) was a British soldier and colonial administrator. His father, Major General Augustine Prévost (1723 – 1786), was a Swiss-born British soldier born to a French Huguenot family originally from Poitou, France.
In the Triforiium Gallery in Winchester Cathedral, there is a plaque of Thomas Garnier, Dean of Winchester (1776-1873). Dean Garnier's Garden in the close of Winchester Cathedral is named after him. His ancestor, Isaac Garnier of La Rochelle, fled France in 1685.

 

Maps and Facts

On this map, you will be able to spot the streets mentioned below.  You will no doubt see some differences between the modern map and the one dating from c.1790.

Spitalfields in 2000

Blossom Street, Fleur de Lis Street and Elder Street – Built by Sir Isaac Tillard c.1720. The Tillard family were Huguenot immigrants who settled in Totnes, Devon. They named the streets after flowers. The Fleur de Lis is also the most common symbol in French heraldry.

Brick Lane – No.59 Brick Lane, on the corner with Fournier Street, was built in 1742-74 as a Huguenot Chapel. It was later used as a Methodist mission and a Synagogue. The building was converted in 1975 and is now the Jamme Masjid.

Calvin Street – Commemorates the French theologian, John Calvin (1509-1564), who led the Protestant Reformation in France.

Huguenot Place – Named after the Huguenots.

Ligonier Street – Named after John, 1st Earl of Ligonier (1680-1770), a British soldier born in Castres in France of Huguenot descent.

Crispin Street – The Spitalfields Mathematical Society, founded in 1717, was based on Crispin Street. Many of its members were Huguenots involved with the manufacture of optical and navigational instruments.

Montclare Street and Calvert Avenue – These names are of Huguenot origin.

Navarre Street – Named after Henry of Navarre (1553 – 1610), later King Henry IV of France.

Palissy Street – Named after Bernard Palissy (1509-1589), a Huguenot craftsman. He was imprisoned in 1588 because of his religious beliefs and died shortly afterwards.

Rochelle Street – Named after the French seaport, La Rochelle, which had close links to the Huguenot community.

Weaver Street – Takes its name from the Huguenot silk weavers.

Spital Square – No.37 Spital Square is the last surviving Georgian mansion on the square. It was built in the 1740s by Peter Ogier, a wealthy Huguenot silk merchant

Chambord Street – Named in 1883 after the death of Henri of Artois (1820-1883), Count of Chambord and pretender to the French throne, to reflect the Huguenot settlement of the area.

Artillery Lane – No.56 Artillery Lane, one of the oldest remaining shop fronts in London, was occupied from 1720 by Nicholas Jourdain, a Huguenot silk mercer and Director of the French hospital.

Fournier Street – Named after a Huguenot refugee, George Fournier, the street is still full of elegant townhouses which were once home to Huguenot weavers. The houses had huge attic windows which were designed to let in as much light as possible to help the weavers with their work.

 

Going Deeper

Find out more

Websites:

www.british-history.ac.ukwww.cityoflondon.gov.ukwww.dennissevershouse.co.ukwww.englandsimmigrants.comwww.frenchchurchcanterbury.org.ukwww.geffrye-museum.org.ukwww.georgianlondon.comwww.historic-kent.co.ukwww.history.org.ukwww.huguenotsociety.org.ukwww.lookingatbuildings.org.ukwww.westminster.gov.uk

Books:

Chater, Kathy Tracing Your Huguenot Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians (Pen & Sword Books, 2012)Gwynn, Robin Huguenot Heritage: the history and contribution of the Huguenots in Britain (2nd rev. ed. Sussex Academc Press, 2011)Gwynn, Robin The Huguenots of London (The Alpha Press, 1998)Gwynn, R.D., Shaw, R.A. & Thomas, P. Huguenots in Wandsworth (Wandsworth Borough Council, Leisure & Amenity Services Department, Libraries & Arts Division, 1985)Kirkham, J. Huguenots in Rye and Winchelsea (Thomas Peacocke Community College Local History Group, 2006)